-
February 8th, 2002, 10:37 PM
#1
shwagomatic
Guest
When storing film in the refrigerator, it is best to allow the film to get to room temperature before shooting or is it okay to load the film right out of the frig? What could happen if the film is too cold when you expose it?
thanks
-
February 9th, 2002, 12:50 AM
#2
jefury
Guest
To be honest, I have no idea. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone - the film in the fridge might collect condensation and it's not good to film something if the film is damp.
If you plan to film something, take it out the night before or a few hours. I guess.
I'm no expert, so don't trust me. But this is my method.
Good Luck!
Jeff
------------------
-
February 9th, 2002, 01:10 AM
#3
Konton
Guest
Some people wait just an hour. I usually wait a day. But yes, you need to wait for the reasons of condensation. Don't use it right out of the fridge.
------------------
Konton the Grey
-
February 9th, 2002, 03:25 AM
#4
mcflytrap
Guest
Should you always store film in the fridge? Even if it may be a few months until you use it?
-mcfly-
------------------
-
February 9th, 2002, 06:26 AM
#5
jefury
Guest
I don't always store new film in the fridge, but I don't think it's a bad idea to. If you don't plan on using it for a few months, I guess you can consider it. Although film doesn't go bad for a few years. Just keep it at proper temperature.
Film that is old that has been recently exposed may have problem in film speed. Film that was exposed a long time ago but developed recently may have lack of image quality.
Hope this helps, (hope I'm right)
Jeff
------------------
-
February 9th, 2002, 11:28 AM
#6
Scottness
Guest
A Kodak rep here in Brisbane told me not to store film in a fridge becasue the the refrigerator actually removes moisture from the air inside it and the film can actually dry out a bit - he said the best place to store it is in a cool area, and if necessary in a sealed box so insects can't get into it - not to eat it! - but to set up a nest etc - this is a problem here and anywhere where there is a warm climate I guess. My film is still in the fridge but I'm going to turn it off, defrost it and just keep it in there - where it is (under our house) is pretty cool anyway, so I'm sure it'll be alright.
This was exposed film we were talking about - he did tell me that freezing film (if it's not going to be used for a long time is a good idea - as long as it is given plenty of time to defrost (I don't remember how long he quoted - and I think he said you put it in a fridge first for a few days and then the outside air - the whole process taking about a week I think)).
He also told me not to store unexposed film in the low freezer-chest type freezers on cement - because they've actually had trouble with radiation in the cement (I can't remember the substance xylene it might have been - not sure) fogs some film (I think it was just high speed film).
The thing about not keeping developed film frozen was new to me - and against other things that I had read, but this guy seems very knowledgeable - so I'm sure he'd be right - what does everyone else think?
Scot M
------------------
-
February 9th, 2002, 01:06 PM
#7
mattias
Guest
you need perfectly air tight containers. that solves the condensation problem as well as the drying out. and the insects i guess... ;-)
/matt
-
February 9th, 2002, 10:09 PM
#8
Matt Pacini
Guest
I've always heard to store it in the freezer, which is what I've always done.
I've used film that is way over a year in the freezer, and it was always fine.
I wrap it in plastic grocery bags, twist and knot the ends, and I do this two or three times, one inside each other.
Matt Pacini
------------------
-
February 9th, 2002, 11:55 PM
#9
Actor
Guest
I've noticed when I buy still film from my local camera store that they keep medium format films in the fridge but 35mm is kept out on the shelf. When I asked why they said that the 35mm is "consumer" film and has a preservative in it so it will last longer on the shelf. The medium format and some 35mm are "professional" films that do not have the preserving agent and so are kept refrigerated.
Kodak told me to keep unexposed film in the fridge provided it was still in its air tight wrapper or container. Do not store it below freezing and allow one day for it to warm up before using it.
They also advise that it be processed within 24 hours of being exposed. Anybody know of a lab with that kind of turn around time?
------------------
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks